The Z-526 was originally designed by Zlin Aircraft in 1959. Its two-seat version is called the Trener-Master. The Z 526’s layout was organized with the pilot in the rear, and the student in front. The aircraft could be equipped also with tip tanks and a constant speed propeller. The Z-526F was introduced in 1968 and was equipped with a 135 kW (180 hp) Avia M 137A engine, the export version Z-526L differing by being equipped with a 150 kW (200 hp) Lycoming AEIO 360 flat-four. Single-seat versions included the Z-526A, Z-526AS, and the Z-526AFS.